Let’s talk about
Keeping Abreast was established in September 2007 by patients Anna Beckingham and Beverley Birritteri and Breast Reconstruction nurse specialist Ruth Harcourt. They recognised a great need for women, both newly diagnosed with breast cancer and facing the possibility of mastectomy, and also women further down the line who are also considering reconstructive surgery, to be able to meet and talk to other women who have been through similar experiences. This allows women make an informed choice about whether or not to proceed with breast reconstruction.
Since our conception we have always had four main objectives:
• To provide information, support, practical help and advice for those considering breast reconstruction, including the opportunity to share the experiences of others.
• To enrich the quality of care for those recovering from breast reconstruction.
• To raise awareness of Keeping Abreast within the UK.
• To encourage and support the establishment of other KA groups nationwide.
How we help
In simple terms, we offer women, who are considering or going through reconstruction, and their families:
- A national network of volunteers willing to offer support and advice.
- An informal and relaxed atmosphere to talk about all aspects of breast reconstruction.
- The opportunity to meet other women who have faced or are facing similar issues.
- The chance to see results of reconstructive surgery, information, support and practical help.
- Answers to your questions based on real experiences from people who have recently dealt with similar issues.
- Informative talks from professionals associated with breast reconstruction, as well as related procedures and general well-being.
Nick of Time
We also understand that women who are considering reconstruction as a preventative measure, due to the discovery of a mutant breast cancer gene, or if genetic testing has come up as positive in the family, need a very different type of support, so we are pleased to be able to offer this through our sister group Nick of Time