Let’s talk about
Meeting your consultant
What questions should I ask my consultant?
To help ensure that prior to your surgery you are as fully informed about reconstruction as possible, it is vital that you speak to your consultant.
Below are a number of questions, some of which may be worth asking, so you can plan your reconstruction.
- Am I a good candidate for breast reconstruction?
- What type of breast reconstruction is best for me?
- How many reconstruction procedures have you done?
- Which types of reconstruction are you most experienced in?
- What are the risks of breast reconstruction?
- What is the best reconstruction timing for me?
- How should I prepare for surgery?
- How long will the surgery take?
- What kind of anesthesia will I have?
- What will my breast look like after reconstruction?
- Do you have photos of similar reconstructions that you’ve performed?
- What results are realistic for me?
- Will the reconstructed breast match my remaining breast in size?
- How will my reconstructed breast feel to the touch?
- Will I have any feeling in my reconstructed breast?
- How much discomfort or pain will I feel?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- Will I need blood transfusions? If so, can I donate my own blood?
- How long is the recovery time?
- What type of wound care will I need to do at home?
- Will you insert surgical drains?
- How much help will I need at home to take care of my drain(s) and wound(s)?
- Are there exercises I’ll need to do after surgery? If so, when should I start?
- How much activity can I do at home?
- What do I do if I get swelling (lymphedema) in my arm?
- When will I be able to return to normal activities such as driving and working?
- Can you connect me with other women who have had the same surgery?
- Will reconstruction interfere with chemotherapy?
- Will reconstruction interfere with radiation therapy?
- How long will the implant last? (If you’re having an implant)
- What kinds of changes to the breast can I expect over time?
- How will aging affect the reconstructed breast?
- What happens if I gain or lose weight?
- Are there any new reconstruction options that I should know about?
Reference: Breast Cancer Care website
Should you wish to print these questions to take with you you can download them here: